I Want to Report

Use the table below to find the appropriate process to file a report.  

Type of Report

Who to Report to

How to Report

Work-Related Injury or Illness

For example:

  • In the course of their work, a University employee slips on ice and is injured. 
  • While driving a University vehicle or their own personal vehicle for work purpose, an employee is rear ended by another car, causing injury to the University employee.
Office of Risk Management (ORM)

Complete an electronic "First Report of Injury" or eFROI.

Following the completion of eFROI, supervisors must also complete and submit a "Supervisor's Incident Investigation Report".

UMN Administrative Policy - Reporting and Managing a Worker's Compensation Claims

Unsafe or Hazardous Condition/Work Practices 

For example:

  • Employees or students working in an unsafe manner or without proper training.
  • Hazardous conditions such as broken or missing guardrails, etc.
  • Near misses or close calls which could have resulted in serious injury or property damage. 
Univeristy Health and Safety (UHS), Workplace Safety Division

Call your UHS Representative 
(612) 626-6002

Injury or Property Damage to Non-University Employee or Entity

For example:

  • A student slips and falls in a University building and breaks their leg.
  • A tree on University property is blown down and damages the property of a homeowner.
Office of Risk Management (ORM)

Complete a Bodily Injury/Property Damage Incident Report

Suspected Violations of Law, Regulation, Government Contract, Grant Requirement, or University Policy

For example: 

  • A University employee is seen disposing of chemicals incorrectly.
  • University employees operating equipment in an unsafe manner or without required training

Office of Institutional Compliance

University Health and Safety (UHS), Workplace Safety Division

To access by phone, call toll-free 1-866-294-8680

To access by Web, go to Univeristy Compliance at compliance.umn.edu/report