Controlled substances that are expired, excess, and unwanted must be disposed of according to DEA regulations and UHS guidelines.

Researches who have excess controlled substances in syringes after a research procedure are required to collect excess in a slurry bottle and document the contents of the slurry bottle on a Controlled Substance Disposal Form. UHS provides slurry bottles in several sizes upon request to hazwaste@umn.edu.

Schedule I and II controlled substances should be place in a separate slurry bottle from those in Schedule III-V.

Controlled substances in their original container which need to be disposed of should remain in the original container with the volume recorded on the Controlled Substance Disposal Form.

Disposal of Expired, Excess, and Unwanted Controlled Substances
Controlled Substances Disposal Form