Changing DEA Research Registrant
If your Department needs to change the name of the research (DEA) Registrant, the change can be requested by letter. A new DEA application is not required.
All changes of Department Registrants, please notify firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Department (DEA) Registrant
- Name changes can be done online at the Diversion Control Division website.
- If applicable, mail unused DEA Forms 222 to the Minneapolis DEA Office after the new Forms 222 for the new Unit Registrant have been received. In your cover letter, list the unique numbers on the Forms 222 and save a copy of the letter in your controlled substances record.
NOTE: Do not surrender or fail to renew the current DEA Registrant's DEA registration until the new DEA registrant receives their new DEA registration. If the DEA registration for the current DEA registration holder is no longer valid and the new DEA Registrant has not received the new DEA registration, the Department no longer has DEA coverage and research using controlled substances will not be allowed.
New Department Registrant
- Completes the University of Minnesota Controlled Substances Online Tutorial.
- Confirms receipt of all the DEA registrations with the correct name and address.
- If applicable, order DEA Forms 222 in your name. These are required to purchase Schedule I or II controlled substances. Refer to 21 CFR 1305.01 – 1305.19 for more information on Forms 222.