CFANS Safety Training

Who must complete annual CFANS safety training?

All university faculty, staff, students, and volunteers who work in agricultural fields, plots, or greenhouses are required to complete safety training. This includes all campuses, research and outreach centers (ROCs), and other agricultural related sites.

When must faculty, staff, students, and volunteers be trained?

Training must be completed prior to being allowed to work in these environments and annually thereafter.

What topics does Agricultural Field, Plot, and Greenhouse training cover?

  • General Rules
    • Your rights and responsibilities, right to say 'no'
    • Injury and illness reporting
    • Hazard reporting
    • Prohibited work
    • Working around general public
  • Physical Hazards
    • Working around heavy equipment and tractors (non-operators)
    • Machine guarding
    • Electrical hazards
    • Compressed Air for cleaning
  • Chemical and Environmental Hazards
    • Chemical hazards (Hazard Communication)
    • Pesticides and Worker Protection Standard (WPS-'Worker')
    • Heat
    • Noise
    • Tickborne illness
    • Severe weather
  • Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
    • General PPE
    • Voluntary use of respirators
  • Emergency Procedures
    • Fire prevention and extinguishers

When and where is training provided?

For the Twin Cities campus, sessions are currently scheduled as shown in the sidebar, but more will be added as necessary.

Will attending these sessions satisfy all training requirements for all employees?

Not necessarily. This training addresses the specific topics listed above. Specialized training such as Agricultural Tractor Operator training and Respiratory Protection may still be required depending on the individual’s job responsibilities.

How do I enroll or register for the training?

You can register for training by clicking on the link provided in the sidebar.

How will completion of this training be documented?

Each training session will have a sign-in sheet for proof of attendance. This information will be logged into Training Hub and will issue an automatic email indicating the attendee’s completion of the training.

Will this training be available online?

Currently, this training can only be completed in-person.

Is University Health and Safety (UHS) willing to provide training for small groups (e.g., lab or department)?

Yes, but a minimum group size of 12 is requested. 

Who can I call with questions?

Please contact UHS at (612) 626-6002 or