Batteries/Lamps/Electronic Waste Disposal

Battery Disposal

Figure 1: Alkaline batteries appropriate for trash; Figure 2: Battery Collection Bucket

Alkaline and carbon zinc batteries (Figure 1) are not regulated and may be disposed of in the trash. DEHS does not currently have an affordable recycling option for alkaline batteries. All other forms of batteries are regulated and must be sent to DEHS for recycling. The most common batteries collected for recycling are:  

    • Lithium and Lithium Ion
    • Nickel-Cadmium
    • Nickel Metal Hydride
    • Lead-Acid
    • Mercury Oxide
    • Silver Oxide

Battery collection buckets (Figure 2) can be found throughout most campus buildings. If you would like a battery collection bucket, contact DEHS at (612) 626-1604 or

Lamp Disposal

Lamp box

Fluorescent, high intensity discharge (HID), and UV germicidal lamps must be collected intact (please do not intentionally break lamps) for recycle. The original shipping container is the preferred collection package for spent lamps. UHS also has boxes available for packaging standard 4 foot and 8 foot length fluorescent lamps. Properly mark the box with the words "Universal Waste – Lamps for Recycle". Once the box is full, packaged, and sealed, you should arrange for collection by contacting the Facilities Management zone office for your area. If you generate a large number of lamps or are located at an off-campus location, call DEHS at (612) 626-1604 or to arrange for collection.

Electronic Waste Disposal

All electronic waste (e-waste) generated at the University of Minnesota must be collected for recycle. E-waste can include items such as: 

  • Computers
  • Computer monitors and televisions
  • Keyboards, mice, speakers, etc.
  • Printers, scanners, copy and fax machines
  • Laboratory equipment
  • Any equipment containing a circuit board

The University of Minnesota Office Of Information Technology (OIT) has procedures in place to dispose of e-waste, which can be found on OIT's Computer Device Recycling and Donation page.

If you have questions please contact DEHS at 612-626-1604 or